From 2010 onwards, Cristian has been a research associate with the Faculty of Law of the University of Bucharest (Department of Private Law), coordinating seminars on civil law (property rights and the general theory of obligations between 2010 and 2012; the general theory of civil law and the law of persons from 2013 to present). He has published journal articles and case comments in the fields of civil law and EU law, including:
- Comment on the ECJ judgment in case C-402/09 (reference for a preliminary ruling on the compatibility of the pollution tax charged on the first registration of motor vehicles with EU law on the free movement of goods), Revista română de jurisprudență (Romanian Case Law Review) no. 2/2011;
- Comment on the ECJ judgment in case C-61/08 (declaration of infringement of EU law on the freedom of establishment by the Hellenic Republic, by providing a nationality requirement for acceding to the notary profession), Revista română de jurisprudență (Romanian Case Law Review) no. 3/2011;
- Probleme teoretice și practice privind conversiunea actului juridic civil, Revista română de drept privat (Romanian Review of Private Law) no. 4/2011;
- Răspunderea contractuală și sistemul remediilor pentru neexecutarea obligațiilor contractuale, Revista română de drept privat (Romanian Review of Private Law) no. 1/2015;
- Prejudiciul previzibil în materie contractuală: o analiză economică, comparată și de drept pozitiv român, Revista română de drept privat (Romanian Review of Private Law) no. 6/2015;
- Remoteness of Damage in Contract and Its Functional Equivalents: A Critical Economic Approach, UCL Journal of Law and Jurisprudence, vol. 5, issue 1 (2016).
Cristian has given presentations/lectures, among other subjects, on property rights in the new Civil Code (in 2011, as part of a conference organised by the National Agency for Cadastre and Land Registration) and the attachment of bank accounts (in 2013, as part of a conference on banking law organised by Răzvan Dincă & Asociații and Rizoiu & Asociații). His research interests concern, primarily, civil law and the economic analysis of law.
In 2012, as part of a project initiated by the National Agency for Cadastre and Land Registration, Cristian was actively involved in the drafting of new land book regulations, designed to accommodate the legislative changes brought about by the new Civil Code.
Professionally, Cristian has benefitted greatly from his development within two of the best law firms in Romania, Stoica & Asociații and Răzvan Dincă & Asociații. Until 2012, Cristian was a trainee attorney with Stoica & Asociații. Between 2012 and 2015, he was, successively, an associate, senior associate and partner with Răzvan Dincă & Associates. In 2015, he set up his own practice, which eventually merged with Mihnea’s to form Paziuc & Jida in 2017.
Cristian has advised, represented and assisted major clients from a wide range of industries and from various jurisdictions such as Romania, the UK, Austria, Germany, France and Italy. Some of Cristian’s representative project are:
- Advising a major Austrian contractor of infrastructure works, especially in the energy industry, on various matters of Romanian contract law;
- Advising a major German bank on matters of Romanian real estate, contract and administrative law;
- Advising a number of European contractors of civil and industrial infrastructure works on matters of Romanian contract law, in relation to contracts subject to the FIDIC Conditions of Contract, with the analyses provided being used successfully in international arbitration proceedings;
- Advising and representing two major international manufacturers of medicines in patent infringement cases in Romania;
- Advising and representing a leading European ecommerce company in trademark infringement cases;
- Representing leading local firms in industries such as medicines and food products in trademark infringement cases;
Since 2012, Mihnea practices law as a member of the Bucharest Bar Association and has been part of top litigation teams such as those of Răzvan Dincă & Asociații (2012-2014) and Popovici Niţu Stoica & Asociații (2015-2016). The experience gained by dealing with important projects in these valuable collectives enabled him to start his own practice in 2016, which eventually merged with Cristian’s in 2017.
Mihnea’s international experience also comprises the participation in 2015 at the International Internship organised by the Paris Bar Association, as a result of a scholarship jointy granted by this association and the French Embassy in Bucharest, in cooperation with the Romanian Bar Association. During a period of two months, Mihnea attended the classes of EFB (L’Ecole de Formation du Barreau de Paris) and worked as an intern for Three Crowns LLP at its offices in Paris, becoming familiar with investment arbitration and international commercial arbitration at their highest level. In the same context, Mihnea participated in the Mario Stasi international pleading contest and qualified for its final, where he was honoured to receive the jury’s special price.
From a professional standpoint, Mihnea has been involved in various projects such as:
- Successfully representing clients in real estate disputes, including property recovery and protection or denial of in rem rights;
- Advising and representing a major foreign road infrastructure developer in pre-arbitral proceedings against the local state-owned employer;
- Advising a local leader in the luxury food services sector in matters regarding its business both in Romania and across Europe;
- Representing a leading Romanian construction company in multiple public procurement related disputes;
- Advising and representing a major investment fund – minority shareholder in multiple state controlled companies – in both corporate and administrative disputes;
- Successfully representing a state controlled company in obtaining a provisional stay of the enforcement measures directed against it;
- Advising a major foreign investor on corporate and contractual matters pertaining to a dispute arising from the development of a real estate project;
- Successfully representing a leading local bank in various disputes (debt recovery, real estate and multiple contractual related disputes).